Still basking in the glow of a delicious three points, not to mention a perch in 4th place even if Chelsea does win today, and adding in that we now sit one point behind Spurs in 3rd place. Climbing the table feels good…
- Fabianski: 6/10. Almost, almost saved that PK and overall had a calm, solid performance. Caught flat-footed or out of position once or twice but escaped unscathed.
- Sagna: pre-PM, 7/10; post-PM, 5/10. Played quite well until Mertesacker’s sending-off after which he was abused mercilessly by a fresh-legged Lukaku.
- Mertesacker: 4/10. Yes, he’s docked a point or two for the red card but also a point for letting himself get put in a position from which he had to make that tackle. Played decently otherwise.
- Koscielny: 8/10Solid again and helped marshal the defense well, especially when short-handed and with the shuffling/addition of so many substitutions after the red-card.
- Monreal: 7/10. Solid all-around game and one of the few who seemed to keep his wits in the last 20 minutes when others seemed flustered and panicky. Settling into Prem play nicely.
- Arteta: 6/10. Decent game but low-ish by his standards. Didn’t do anything wrong but was quiet and a bit less accurate (88%, perhaps due to the scrambling around at the end).
- Ramsey: 7/10. If not for a missed shot in the first half and Rosický’s wasteful first shot (I kid), he would’ve had a goal and an assist on the day.
- Cazorla: 6/10. His first real sleeper in a while as he didn’t much room to create. Only one shot on goal and none of those sparkling moments we’re getting used to.
- Rosický: 9/10. MOTM. Great work-rate as always. Awareness and positioning saw him clear the line, and his goals were of course wonderful.
- Gervinho: 7/10. Fantastic little dance on the ball to assist Rosický (was it a shot that Rosický pounced on? Ask me no questions). West Brom had to mind his pace all day.
- Giroud: 5/10. Even if Ramsey had done better with it, I’m getting a little irked by the little flicks that Giroud offers. Too cute. I’d prefer that he’d been subbed off over Rosický or Cazorla.
- Subs (Vermaelen, Gibbs, Coquelin): 6/10. Got the job done without any mistakes or delusions of grandeur either.
As I said after the match, good to have to eke one out after man-handling a few teams coming, a reminder that one has to work to be lucky, and being lucky is sometimes better than being good.